As reported last week, we did post Release #1 on the morning of Friday, June 26, but limited the release to one customer who very kindly offered to test the software on his 29 returns.
We spent many hours on Friday, Saturday, and Monday working through all of these returns, with the following results:
1041 (29 total):
4 Rejected (because considered already filed – checking on this)
PA-41 (26 total) (3 of the 1041 returns were for FL residents):
1 Rejected (because considered already filed – checking on this)
4 Not Submitted (waiting for 1041 acceptance)
Although the actual submission process takes about five (5) seconds per return, there were various issues of missing/incorrect data and/or programming logic that arose once the returns were submitted. The following examples show that the issues ran the gamut from the routine to the obscure.
1) Foreign beneficiary showing country as Bonaire, an island in the Caribbean. Bonaire used to be a part of the Netherlands Antilles until that country dissolved in 2010, and it is now part of the Netherlands. Changing the country to Netherlands allowed the return to go through.
2) Form 1116: Legacy e-file used to accept any value in the Country of Residence field. It now requires a value from the list of 263 countries, so “USA” is no longer accepted. Changing this to “US” allowed the return to go through.
3) Form 1116: Legacy e-file used to accept any value in the Foreign Country columns (A-C). It now requires a value from the list of 263 countries, so “Various” is no longer accepted. Changing this to the actual country allowed the return to go through.
4) Suffix: Legacy e-file used to accept any value in the Suffix field. It now requires value from a list of Jr, Sr, and I – X, so “Exec” is no longer accepted. Removing this value allowed the return to go through.
5) Rounding: All amount values need to be rounded to zero decimals. This had been done in most places via calculations, and has now been done everywhere.
6) Date of Acquisition: A custom date may include “Inherited”, “Various”, or “Inh-2010” (relating to Form 8939/Carryover Basis). A custom date may be displayed, or an actual date, but not both. This has been corrected.
7) PA-41 RK-1/NRK-1: Non-individual beneficiaries (partnerships, estates, trusts, etc.) needed the EIN. The logic was pulling from the (blank) SSN field. This has been corrected.
8949: Needed the “X” indicator for each of boxes A-C and D-F, not just the one currently selected in the 1041 (one of A-C for short, one of D-F for long). This has been corrected.
We have also added the following features to the e-file software:
a) Mark returns as paper filed (federal and/or state), then filter the list of returns based on this status.
b) Filter the list of returns based on the first letter of the estate/trust name.
c) Filter the list of returns based on the federal or state status (Not Submitted, Pending, Accepted, Rejected/LGI, Rejected/IRS).
We are on track for posting Release #2 early in the week of July 6. We will also plan on hosting several webinars to orient you to the new e-file software.
Comments are closed.